Disclaimer: I’m neither a psychologist nor trained in mental health whatsoever. However, I do read a lot of books, articles, studies, teachings, ideas, etc about mental health and the people who suffer from mental health issues. My heart goes out to them. If it were one people group who I would love to see most set free, healed, and delivered it would be those who suffer with mental illness. History has shown that patients with mental illness have had atrocious things done to them and I am horrified about it. Thankfully science, psychologists, and revelation has increased and brought much growth, understanding, and tools to bring freedom, healing, and deliverance to those precious people suffering under the weight mental illness.
This blog is a continuation of sorts from my last blog, Learned Helplessness. I was spurred on to creating a continuation with more examples, causes, and tools for healing. I hope this helps bring comfort, healing, deliverance, and ultimately a fuller experience of our Heavenly Father and your worth to him and others. God wants us whole spirit, soul, and body.
Potential Causes of Learned Helplessness
- SRA/RA (Satanic Ritual Abuse/Ritual Abuse-Christian or non-Christian) – This usually occurs as a child and consists of persistent religious, physical, emotional, and sexual abuse
- PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Futility – doing things over and over and never resulting in anything and things designed to keep someone busy yet stuck in one place
- Extreme Stress – Death of love one(s), losing a job and unable to find another, debilitating illness, etc etc
- Prolonged Stress – Constant abuse, horrible home life, horrible work life, doing something you’re not designed for, etc etc
- Self-Pity – I am not ____. I will never be able to _____. (fill in the blanks)
- Rejection – Perceived (speculation) and Actual (opposite sex ended relationship, opposite said “no” to going out with you etc)
- Lack of Control – always being pushed around, have decisions made for you, and never being able to think or act for yourself either due to oppression or lack of resources
- Non-Constructive Criticism – Critical words that bring to aspect of building up or encouragement despite areas of weakness
- Trauma – Physical, Emotional, Sexual, Car Accidents, Loss of loved one(s), etc
- Failing Marriage – a marriage where no matter what you do to save it, pour life into it, or revitalize it the spouse refuses to change
- Addiction – addictions either wanted or unwanted, wanting to be free yet never able to
- Literal Imprisonment – includes those guilty and not guilty yet imprisoned and also those released from extended incarceration
- Government Assistance – this one is controversial however please hear me out. This is not a political or economic issue but a mindset issue. When an able-bodied person is dependent upon government assistance like food stamps, Section 8, Welfare, and the like it binds people. Some are helpless now that they are in the system and are unable to succeed even slightly because then their benefits will go away. In some areas government assistance is a generational thing where Grandparents, parents, children, and children’s children are all in the same place. To offer the other side there are many who are on government assistance who absolutely need it, and are due it. The issue is a poverty mindset and not just impoverished circumstances
- Serving Two Masters – this is shown oftentimes in unions. A worker will have a union boss and the job boss and they have to please both at the same time and it become a helpless situation when one boss gives you contradictory orders compared to the other boss. It can come to a point where you could be out of a job regardless what you do. Also unions can force you not to work and if you choose to work anyway they will force you out and cause you to not be able to find work in the field again
- Patriarchy – where women are held to a lower class, unable to excel in anything substantial, have no say in anything, demoralized, and a less-than citizen
- Matriarchy – where men are held to a lower class, unable to excel in anything substantial, have no say in anything, demoralized, and a less-than citizen
- No Parental Structure – This is a very complex issue with many variables. However, studies show that without a strong Father and Mother (and marriage) in the home, children succumb to what is modeled to them. Fatherless homes and Motherless homes each have unique issues that can carry on to the children.
- Losing Your Voice – never being asked for your opinion, advice, and not acknowledging what you say
- (place your own situation where you have learned helplessness and are unable to break free)
Potential Results of Learned Helplessness
- DID aka Multiple Personality Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Suicidal Thoughts/Intentions
- Degenerative Diseases
- Heart Disease
- Heart Attack
- Low Self-Esteem
- Chronic Failure
- Fear of Success
- Feelings of Lack of Control
- Premature Aging
- Domestic Violence
- Poor Parenting
- Marriage Issues
- Academic Achievement
- Generational Fatherless (and sometimes Motherless) Homes
- Panic Attacks
- Mental Disorders
- General Anxiety Disorders
- Feelings of Being Out of Control
- Never Able to Offer Your Opinion
- Loss of Voice
Both lists could go on and on. You may have noticed that certain Causes and Results are interchangeable. I suppose it would all depend on the logistics of your life. Notice I used the word “potential.” I think that could be a crucial mindset to have in the midst of Learned Helplessness. Oftentimes, with the proper perspective, the things we go through can cause us to grow, seek God’s face more intentionally, and leave us less scathed. Not unscathed but less scathed.
If you have experienced these causes and results know that you are not alone. Millions if not Billions experience the same things. I personally have had about 20 or so of the above happen and let happen to me. It is not a fun road to travel on or be dragged on. You may have had many instances, whether outside of your control or self-induced, where you’ve experienced and learned helplessness…but there is hope. There is freedom. There is healing, There is deliverance. Not many quick fixes or physical deliverance but paradigm shifting and mindset renewing that can utterly revolutionize the pain you’re going through. Now that we’ve talked about and listed the junk let us gaze upon the beauty that Jesus paid for. As the Scripture says in Galatians 5:1,
In [this] freedom Christ has made us free [and completely liberated us]; stand fast then, and do not be hampered and held ensnared and submit again to a yoke of slavery [which you have once put off].
Healing and Wholeness
All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it’s not only around us; it’s within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We’re also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don’t see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy. – Romans 8:2-25 (MSG)
Such an apt description isn’t it? We know we are not what we should be yet in the midst we can press forward, unhindered with a mind fixed on Him.
Healing provides wholeness. Wholeness provides healing. God wants more than our healing. He wants wholeness and He will get what He wants! There is a slight paradox in the Scripture when we speak of healing, wholeness, difficulties, trials, fire, issues, redemption, salvation, adoption, grace, truth, correction, and love. There are two main types of pain in the world. Redemptive pain and destructive pain.
- Redemptive Pain – is fueled by God and the mindset that He corrects whom He loves and He trains whom He trusts–which is you! Healing and wholeness for the whole person spirit, soul, and body
- Destructive Pain – is fueled by satan to defeat, destroy, kill, maim, and obliterate God’s image on earth with the mindset designed to destroy a human’s spirit, soul, and body
I would highly suggest seeking the Lord either by yourself or preferably with another trusted believer to find out, based on the specifics of what you are dealing with, to see if the pain involved in redemptive or destructive. Destructive pain is much easier to figure out. Is what is happening producing the fruit of the Spirit and God’s glory or is it destructive in nature and diminishing God’s glory? Is there a redemptive quality where you would become a more whole person because of it. Redemptive pain is a little more tricky to ascertain.
In my previous post, Learned Helplessness, which you should really read because it gives much more explanation on the subject, I highlighted only one key aspect of healing and that was willingness. God’s willingness to heal which can break through learned Helplessness and for a person being willing to step into a person’s life to help bring healing and wholeness.
Potential Tools for Healing
- Willingness – know that God is and will always be willing to heal, and to pray for a person to be willing to walk with you in the midst of Causes and Results. Also if you are a person who knows someone else with Learned Helplessness being willing to step into their pain and walk with them gingerly and Holy Spirit and human spirit led
- Breaking Generational Sin/Curses/Covenants/Agreements – learned helplessness could very well be generational junk passed down and attached to you giving you a predisposition to walk in it. see Generational Deliverance
- Releasing and Walking Through Generational Grief – also a passed down issue that, with the Lord, you can walk out of grief healthily
- Releasing and Walking Through Unresolved Grief – grief that has been pushed aside, stuffed, denied, or buried
- Breaking Word Curses – “You’ll never amount to anything”, “You’re just like your father”, “You’re just like your mother”, “Why do you even try anymore” are all word curses spoken over us and we speak them over us ourselves
- Renouncing Inner Vows – see I’ll Never Do That Again
- Breaking Soul/Spirit Ties – see Soul Ties – Legitimate or Illegitimate
- Renewing the Mind – see Paradigm Shift
- Worship – this opens up our spirit and soul to receive from the Lord in intimate ways
- Choose Something to Do That You Have Control Over – whatever that looks like to you. “No” can be a very anointed word. I used to always say “Yes” and resented it. I started saying “No” and felt much more in control and my own person because of it
- Live to God and For God – see An Audience of One
- Pick Up a Hobby – I love reading and writing. You may love the same or collecting things. Maybe knitting, Legos, building model planes, word puzzles, or jigsaw puzzles are more suitable to you. What would make you feel alive? Do that! Part of the 2nd commandment Jesus gave was to love our neighbor as ourselves. We need to love ourselves
- Individuate – meaning to form into a distinct entity or become your own person. Individuation is a key childhood function and provides the backdrop of adulthood. Those who are unable to individuate as children still need to as adults. This usually occurs via “mid-life crisis.” If you’re married have time with your friends (guys night or ladies night). Do something apart from your spouse, siblings, or parents.
- Nurture and Develop Your Spirit – this one is key. Blessing Your Spirit, Blessing Your Spirit Part 2, and Blessing Your Spirit Part 3 are great prayers to pray and have prayed towards you. My resources for this is Nurturing Your Spirit, Developing Your Spirit, and Blessing Your Spirit: Beloved Son (free) or Blessing Your Spirit: Precious Daughter (free)
- For Those With PTSD and other Trauma Issues – see PTSD Healing
- For Those with DID – see the above Nurture and Develop Your Spirit and also Tools for Freedom Parts I, II, III
- Fight Futility – see Fighting Futility by Arthur Burk
- Begin Building an Altar of His Goodness – what this means is replaying His goodness in your soul and spirit. What has He done for you in the past. Visit that and revisit that. Build a mindset of His goodness, faithfulness, and love. Neurological Scientist have found that the more times you recall a memory the more ingrained it become in your mind and the stronger the path to that memory. Philippians 4:8 is a great Scripture on what to think about
- Submit to God then resist the devil – First submit to God. Confess you are a struggling and need help. His ears are always attentive to His beloved children. Resist the devil. Bind, renounce, rebuke. Spiritual warfare is good but if you can’t do it by yourself get someone else who can do with led by the Spirit
- Receive – begin receiving from people. Where you have walked out in a little bit of false humility (“I don’t deserve it” “It’s all of Him and none of me” are common replies when someone wants to bless you), instead receive. If someone wants to pay for your meal, pray for you, clean your house, or whatever. I often joke that I am in the ministry of receiving because how can someone be blessed to give unless there is a receive 🙂
- Laugh – I mean deep down belly laugh. Laugh with yourself. Laugh at yourself. Laugh with others. Take it easy. Stop being so serious.
- God is For You – believe God is for you and not against you. see Mephibosheth
- Simple Prayer – Father, father me. Amen see Why a Father?
- Get Help – meet with a friend, talk to a trusted prayer minister or counselor. Get those Blessing Your Spirit resources for free
- Do What Makes Your Spirit Come Alive – some love being around water, some silence, still other loves crowds. Maybe its walking your dog or swinging in the local park. Maybe it’s taking your camera outside and going on a picture-taking walk (my wife and I do this). Where do you feel alive?
A couple of prayers from my previous post:
For your soul:
Father, yes, you are a father despite my experiences that try to tell me otherwise. I have learned helplessness. I’m not speaking death but being real. I’ve been harnessed and electrocuted. I’ve been hurt. The pain is real and I flinch at the smallest things sometimes. I see faith, I see hope, I see joy but they seem so out of reach. But I choose to say, “You are God.” You are a good Father despite it all. Give me willingness. Holy Spirit breath and birth in me willingness. Send me those who are willing who can walk with me, side by side. Father show me your willingness. Jesus reveal Yourself to me. Show me where you have been throughout my life. Show me that you’ve been with me in this box all along. Apply Your salve. Apply your oil. Heal my soul. Heal my body. Give me back a voice. Give me back my ability of choice. Make my will free again. Father, I ask You to lift off all crushing and shame that’s on my spirit. Lift off rejection from my soul. Release all demonically inspires lies and harassment. Remove the talons of the enemy from my mind. Father, give my soul perspective that in the midst of stress I can choose peace. In the midst of heartache and despair I can walk to the other side of the box and have joy. In the midst of this dark night of the soul I want a bright day of the spirit. Thank you Father for being my Father.
For the spirit:
Soul I recognize the frustration, pain, hurt, and trepidation that you have been experiencing. But, if I may, ask you to step aside for a brief moment. This is not rejection. I am just applying something to the spirit that will assist you along the path of healing. Spirit of _____ I call you to attention in the name of Jesus Christ. Spirit, I understand if you may be distant and afraid to come fully forward and I understand that and I acknowledge your right to feelings of safety. Please stay present throughout this blessing. Spirit if you are fully forward than great. Receive the word of God for you today in Philippians 2:13 , “For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose] for His good pleasure. Spirit God has and is giving you willingness to jump to the other side of the box. Where the soul has learned helplessness, spirit you have learned willingness. You are designed to lead, guide, and bring into alignment the soul with the Kingdom and to take all of life’s woes with a more than conqueror mindset. You have the ability to help the soul get free. And spirit only you and the Holy Spirit knows the things of man. The soul does not. I bless you spirit with going to mind and setting things right. Where stress has taken over and damaged the brain, you spirit have the ability to repair. You, spirit, are the sustaining force that God created the whole of man to have. You, along with the Holy Spirit sustain man. Spirit go to the face of the Father and receive instruction, insight, revelation, power, and authority to set things right. Joy, Peace, Love, Faith, Hope are all your forte. It’s who you are. You are created and creative light made from the same substance as God. You are created in His image according to His likeness. You have what it takes. I bless you spirit in the name of Jesus Christ.
I hope and pray that this has helped and will help. Please like, comment, share, re-blog if this has helped or you know someone who may need to read this. Each one of our lives is unique and is never pre-packaged. What works for one person won’t work for the other. Because our Learned Helplessness is unique so will our healing be unique.